Last Updated: 11/17/2017
2. Information Collected or Received from You. We collect information that you provide to us, that we get from third parties, and that we collect based on your activity.
· Information you give us.
a. Account Information. If you create an Account, we’ll collect certain information that can be used to identify you, such as your name, email address, postal address, zip code, driver’s license number, VIN of the car, and phone number (“PII”). We may also collect some other information which is not PII as it cannot be used by itself to identify you such as your gender, date of birth, marital status, and age. If you create an Account using your login credentials from one of your SNS Accounts, we’ll be able to access and collect your name and email address and other PII, as well as some non-PII information that your privacy settings on the SNS Account permit us to access.
c. Information Entered into On Application Forms. Certain information may be required to register with us or to take advantage of some of the products, services, and features we offer via our Services. For example, you may fill out applications for insurance or other forms such as claims forms, accident reports, underwriting worksheets, or otherwise provide information to us through our website, email or paper correspondence, or otherwise, and we will collect all this information.
d. Financial Information. We will collect your credit card information or other payment information if you buy a new insurance policy using our Services, or enter into any other transactions that require payment, via our Services.
e. Social Security Number. Social Security Number (“SSN”) is required in certain states where credit history is used for insurance underwriting. Hence, we may collect your SSN if required in your state of residence in order to provide you the products and services offered through our Services.
· Information we collect from third parties. As an Account holder, when you apply for the insurance products and services offered through the Services, we may collect information from third parties to, among other things, verify information about you, and obtain the insurance policy related information and any information that may be needed to get insurance policy quotes and purchase insurance policies from insurance companies. For example, we may need to collect certain reports about you (e.g. your DMV report, driving report, loss history, and consumer reports) in order to verify your eligibility for certain products, and to otherwise provide Services to you. In addition, if another company refers you to us, we may collect your information from that company in order to process your application for the insurance products and services offered through our Services. We generally collect your PII (for example, your name, address, email, telephone number), and other personal information from these third parties.
· Information we Automatically Collect based on your Activity through our Services. In order to provide our services to you, improve our business and maintain records required by law, we collect information about your transactions and activity on our
Services. Like many website owners and operators, we use automated data collection tools such as Cookies and Web Beacons to collect certain information.
g. Web Beacons. “Web Beacons” (also known as web bugs, pixel tags or clear GIFs) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier that may be included on our Services for several purposes, including to deliver or communicate with Cookies, to track and measure the performance of our Services, to monitor how many visitors view our Services, and to monitor the effectiveness of our advertising. Unlike Cookies, which are stored on the device, Web Beacons are typically embedded invisibly on web pages (or in an e-mail).
h. Log Data. “Log Data” means certain information about how a person uses our Services, including both Account holders and non-Account holders (either, a “User”). Log Data may include information such as a User’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, operating system, the web page that a User was visiting before accessing our Services, the pages or features of our Services to which a User browsed and the time spent on those pages or features, search terms, the links on our Services that a User clicked on and other statistics. We use Log Data to administer the Services and we analyze (and may engage third parties to analyze) Log Data to improve, customize and enhance our Services by expanding their features and functionality and tailoring them to our Users’ needs and preferences. [We may use a person’s IP address to generate aggregate, non-identifying information about how our Services are used.] [NOTE: Please confirm whether the last sentence (highlighted) is accurate.]
i. Information Sent by Your Devices. We collect certain information that your mobile device or other device sends when you use our Services, like a device identifier, user settings and the operating system of your device, as well as information about your use of our Services.
3. Use of Information Collected. Our primary goals in collecting
information are to provide and improve our Services, to administer your use of the Services (including
your Account, if you are an Authorized User), and to enable you to enjoy and easily navigate our
Services. We will use your PII to:
· Provide Services, communicate with you and provide customer support in relation to the Services;
· Resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems;
· Customize your experience and otherwise measure and improve our Services;
· Facilitate your obtaining the products and services (including insurance products) offered via our Services;
· Communicate and transact with certain third party providers on your behalf (such as insurance companies and agents) in order to provide you Services;
· Send you relevant emails and communications (including keeping you informed about our products, offerings, and any promotional offers) that might be of interest to you. If we use your personal information to market to you, you will be able to opt out of such uses as described below; and
· Enforce our agreements, terms, conditions, and policies, and send you notices and alerts.
4. How We Share Your Information. We will not share any PII that we have collected from or regarding you except as described below:
a. Information Shared with Third Party Insurance Providers. We
will share your information (including PII) with insurance companies, reinsurance companies and their
respective administrators, vendors, agents and third party service providers, including but not limited
to insurance support organizations, that are engaged in services related to underwriting and issuing
insurance policies as needed to provide you the insurance products and services you request. For
example, we may share your PII with an insurance provider to enroll you into a new insurance policy, or
we may share your payment information, such as credit card number, expiration date and billing address,
to pay for enrolling you into a new insurance policy. In addition, if you were referred to us by another
company, we may share your information with that company as necessary to honor the terms of our
agreement with that company and to provide you the insurance products and services you request.
b. Information Shared with Our Services Providers. We may engage third-party services providers to work with us to administer and provide the Services. These third-party services providers have access to your PII only for the purpose of performing services on our behalf. We may also share your PII with our marketing service providers to help us better market our products and services to you. These marketing service providers may use your PII only for the purpose of helping us provide relevant products and services information to you [and are expressly obligated not to disclose your PII to others. If you don’t want us to use your PII for these marketing purposes, you can opt out by contacting us at email@example.com.
c. Information Shared with other Third Parties. We may share anonymized or aggregated data we collect from the use of the Services, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you access the Services, market trends and other analysis that we create based on the information we receive from you and other users.
d. Information Shared with Web Analytics Services Providers.
5. Google. We use Google Analytics, a service provided by Google,
Inc. (“Google”), to gather information about how users engage with our Site and Services.
For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You
can opt out of Google’s collection and processing of data generated by your use of the Services by
going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
6. Mixpanel. We use a service provided by Mixpanel, Inc. (“Mixpanel”) to provide us with analytics data regarding users’ interactions with our Site and Services. You may opt-out of Mixpanel’s automatic retention of data that is collected while using the Services by visiting https://mixplanel.com/optout/. To track opt-outs, Mixpanel uses a persistent opt-out cookie placed on your device. Please note that if you get a new computer, install a new browser, erase or otherwise alter the browser’s cookie file (including upgrading certain browsers), you may delete the Mixpanel opt-out cookie.
8. Intercom. We use Intercom (www.intercom.com) to facilitate communications with, maintain information about, and collect publicly available information about, our customers and users. For more information on Intercom’s services, please visit www.intercom.com.
a. Information Disclosed in Connection with Business
Transactions. Information that we collect from our users, including PII, is considered to be a business
asset. Thus, if we are acquired by a third party as a result of a transaction such as a merger,
acquisition or asset sale or if our assets are acquired by a third party in the event we go out of
business or enter bankruptcy, some or all of our assets, including your PII, may be disclosed or
transferred to a third party acquirer in connection with the transaction.
b. Information Disclosed for Our Protection and the Protection of Others. We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials or private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate: (i) to respond to claims, legal process (including subpoenas); (ii) to protect our property, rights and safety and the property, rights and safety of a third party or the public in general; and (iii) to stop any activity that we consider illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
9. Your Choices. We offer you choices regarding the collection, use and sharing of your PII and we’ll respect the choices you make. Please note that if you decide not to provide us with the PII that we request, you may not be able to access all of the features of the Services.
a. Opt-Out of our Mailings. We may periodically send you free
newsletters and e-mails that directly promote our Services. When you receive such promotional
communications from us, you will have the opportunity to “opt-out” (either through your
Account or by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the e-mail you receive). We do need to
send you certain communications regarding the Services and you will not be able to opt out of those
communications – e.g., communications regarding updates to our Terms of Service or this Privacy
Policy or information about your Account or transactions with third party providers.
b. Opt-out of Ad Tracking. You can opt out of the collection and use of your information for ad targeting by going to http://www.aboutads.info/choices or http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/ to limit collection through the Site or by configuring the settings on your mobile device to limit ad tracking through the App.
c. Modifying Your Information. You can access and modify the PII associated with your Account by doing so on safebutler.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want us to delete your PII and your Account, please contact us at email@example.com with your request. We’ll take steps to delete your information as soon we can, but some information may remain in archived/backup copies for our records or as otherwise required by law.
Responding to Do Not Track Signals. Our Site does not have the capability to respond to “Do Not Track” signals received from various web browsers.
10. The Security of Your Information. We take reasonable administrative,
physical and electronic measures designed to protect the information that we collect from or about you
(including your PII) from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. When you enter sensitive information
on our forms, we encrypt this data using SSL or other technologies. Please be aware, however, that no
method of transmitting information over the Internet or storing information is completely secure.
Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of any information.
12. International Transfer Your PII may be transferred to, and maintained on, computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. If you’re located outside the United States and choose to provide your PII to us, we may transfer your PII to the United States and process it there.
13. Our Policy Toward Children. Our Services are not directed to children under 13 and we do not knowingly collect PII from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected PII of a child under 13 we will take steps to delete such information from our files as soon as possible.
14. Your California Privacy Rights. California residents may request and obtain from us, once a year, free of charge, a list of third parties, if any, to which we disclosed their PII for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year and the categories of PII shared with those third parties. If you are a California resident and wish to obtain that information, please submit your request by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “California Privacy Rights” in the subject line or by writing to us at: 3300 Central Expressway, Suite B, Santa Clara, CA 95051, Attn: Legal.